A little over a month ago I wrote and article about how I fixed The Wife’s computer (Google Chromebook) when it wasn’t loading webpages. As things would work out I only fixed half of the problem and it continued to get worse until yesterday when I needed to make a commitment to fixing it or giving up my precious computer for tasks as “facebooking” or catching up on Pintrest. The first time I “fixed” the chromebook, I utilized the Google there walk throughs and ended up getting help from two Google Chrome Ninjas. It seemed to fix my problem but only part of it because they walked through what seemed like (and probably was) a script to diagnose problems.
My initial problem related to the little compy not being compatible with Mixed WPA2 (Wifi Protection) so I changed it to their recommended settings and it worked partially for a few weeks slowly reverting and boggling my mind about what to do. So I decided to head back to the local McDonald’s for the free wifi. As usual, it worked great outside of my locked down home network leading me to believe it was either a problem with my ISP or with my setup. The root of the problem turned out to be that I use static IP addresses in my home network and a apparently Chrome books are setup to be Apple User friendly and can run into problems when introduced to more complex situations. Using “flags” through the Chrome OS I was able to enable static IP settings making the notebook function as if brand new.
Rundown of what I did:
- Enter Chrome://Flags into the browser bar
- Enabled Experimental static ip configuration.
- Restarted computer.
- Logged in and everything works!